• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Fermintation time

aldead

Apprentice
Reaction score
I will be brewing my first batch this weekend and have a question about how long to leave in primary and secondary fermenters.

This will be an Irish Red Ale full boil from an Extract kit.

Instructions in kit say to leave in primary when it reaches desired OG ( about 4 to 7 days) and then rack into secondary (5 gal glass carboy) to condition for 6 to 7 days or reaching desired FG.

I have read that leaving in primary and secondary longer times improve quality of the brew.

Need some help.

I wouldn't even put it in a secondary.  I'd leave in the primary, until the gravity readings are steady for three consecutive days.  I secondary fermentation isn't really necessary.  The beer will clear just fine with a primary only.

I never use a predetermined time frame for fermentation.  I let the yeast tell me.

If you don't have a hydrometer, you'll need one to take gravity readings.  You could also use a refractometer to take readings.

Even if you do decide to transfer to sceondary, I agree with Scott, wait until you have gravity readings in your primary that are stable for 3 days

i agree with the above... transferring to secondary is hotly debated, i personally don't usually do it.  don't be surprised if it takes a bit longer than 7 days to hit your finished gravity.

Yes I have a hydrometer.

I guess that I would start taking samples about 24 to 48 hours after the airlock settles down?

Great tip.

I will be transferring to secondary fermenter (carboy), how long do I need to let the beer condition in the carboy?  Week, two or three weeks?

I am in no hurry, just want to do it right.

On the other side of the secondary debate...I always secondary. For me it gives the beer time to blend a bit...I usually pull off primary after 5 days and grab enough yeast with it to continue the action. It gets the beer off the old hops and any spooge that got transferred.
Plus I travel for a living, so I sometimes can't bottle at the right time. Putting it in a secondary allows me more flexibility on my bottling dates.
But that's just me...I am a creature of habit.
I am sure your buddies don't give a whit and they will drink it all up anyway!
Good luck and welcome.

For secondary its more or less up to you. Sometimes i secondary for just 2 days to dry hop, sometimes i go a couple weeks. In my experience my beers have all gotten better the longer they've sat... whether it be in the secondary, bottles or kegs...

Sometime this weekend will be brewing day and will post my progress on my first batch.

Thank you very much for your insight and advice.

Without feeding the "secondary" debate...
The OP says this is his first batch. Don't complicate things with a secondary.

+1

Baron Von MunchKrausen said:
Without feeding the "secondary" debate...
The OP says this is his first batch. Don't complicate things with a secondary.

Back