• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

HELP!!

iwilladams

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'm a newbie to all this and i have recently purchased an electric 30ltr boiler to have a go at extract brewing, now once the boil is complete i obviously have to cool the wort rather quickly, this is the problem, how do i do it? I dont have a wort chiller so am i able to transfer it directly after the boil to the fermenter bucket to then cool it in the bath or is there another way??? Answers greatly appreciated.

I assume you are serious about giving brewing a go as you have spent money on a boiler. If that is the case then get a wort chiller - it is one of the most important pieces of kit.

I guess you could go direct to the plastic bucket and cool by putting in the bath with 20lbs of ice. There are 2 problems with this, first it will take quite a long time to cool to pitching temperature (and never ever be tempted to rush and pitch too hot), and the plastic buckets are meant for cold liquids - you might extract some plasticy flavours from the bucket pouring boiling wort into it.

I have heard of people freezing their (anticipated) top up water and adding to the bucket. I don't think that is a good idea as there are a host of sanitation issues and I would be worried about slashing and making a mess.

Take a look here: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/No_Chill_Method

Thanks for the replies guys, have spoke with a friend of mine in the plumbing trade and he said it's easy to make a copper wort chiller and it's not going to work out too expensive so going to take that route!

Back