• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Temperature for secondary

DrT

Apprentice
Reaction score
My primary fermented at 65-67, and from what I can tell, it's done.  S.G. 1.008.  I use a secondary for clarification (and to maybe convert any residual sugars).  The fermometer on the secondary reads 56 to 57 (basement of my home) - is this too cool?  Should I bring it upstairs and get it to 65 - 67 as my primary was?

You should be just fine. Your primary fermentation has already finished and now all you are really doing is clearing your beer. I know some guys who swear by cold crashing their beer between 35-40 degrees F. for a week or 2. My basement tends to get cold in the winter as well. In the small room where I store my fermenters I run a small space heater during primary fermentation that keeps the beer at 67 degrees. I shut it off after fermentation is complete and the drops down to between 55-60 and beers come out just fine. I am going to build a fermentation chamber so that I can have better control over the temperature.

If you could find a colder spot in your basement, you may be able to make lager. I fashioned a closet in my basement that maintains a good temperature for lager fermentation, then do the lagering in my keg fridge. I've had good results.

As far as your question goes, you're doing it right. At this point fermentation is done, and yeast settles faster when it's cooler.

Basement secondary fermentation went great!

Maine Homebrewer said:
If you could find a colder spot in your basement, you may be able to make lager. I fashioned a closet in my basement that maintains a good temperature for lager fermentation, then do the lagering in my keg fridge. I've had good results.

As far as your question goes, you're doing it right. At this point fermentation is done, and yeast settles faster when it's cooler.

I'll be trying a lager this weekend - my basement workshop is 40-50. I know it's not super cold, but I think it will work!

Back