• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

what happened

N

newtohomebrew

Hello,

New to beer smith and I am trying my first homebrew. So far so good I hope.  I got throught the initial fermentation just fine but  after I transferred the beer to a secondary fermenter, It began to darken up quite a bit. I brewing a czech pilsner, now two days later its pretty dark. i sanitized everything quite well including the carboy inside and out, had a little bit of trouble with the syphon pump keeping the oxygen out though. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

It's possible the beer has oxidised, post fermentation is a crucial time to keep oxygen out of the beer, if your syphon was sucking air into the beer flow then you might have some oxidation. Taste it and if you detect a wet cardboard like flavour then you will know this has happened.

Otherwise it could just be the pale coloured yeast dropping out of suspension and giving the impression that the beer is darkening.

Cheers
Andrew

Thank you for your input. I recently transferred the beer to bottles and tasted it, It tasted  pretty good. I think you were right on about the yeast.

Again  thanks a lot dude,

Cheers,
          Medic031578

Dude, you NEED and Auto-siphon. They work great and will reduce the oxygen levels when transferring. Hope you can find one. I been using it for 3 years and hasn't had any problems so far!  Cheers!
Jester

Back