• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Can someone tell me why my OG is so high? pic inside

High compared to what?

I calculate an even higher gravity, based on what's displayed. You have 5 kg of fermentables, which according to defaults is about 436 total gravity points. Divide that into your volume and I get 1.087. So, your gravity leaves room for more than 2 liters of trub loss.

Did you take a partial mash recipe and simply change the Maris Otter "type" from grain into extract? That could make at least a 1.011 gravity boost in the recipe.

In that recipe, for the American IPA style, I'd cut the amber extract and corn sugar by half.

brewfun said:
High compared to what?

I calculate an even higher gravity, based on what's displayed. You have 5 kg of fermentables, which according to defaults is about 436 total gravity points. Divide that into your volume and I get 1.087. So, your gravity leaves room for more than 2 liters of trub loss.

Did you take a partial mash recipe and simply change the Maris Otter "type" from grain into extract? That could make at least a 1.011 gravity boost in the recipe.

In that recipe, for the American IPA style, I'd cut the amber extract and corn sugar by half.

Thank you very much, that put the values back in to the greenzone. I did just change the Maris "type" to extract, and I believe that was the main problem.

Back