• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

lingering hop flavor

chasinreno

Brewer
Reaction score
I am looking at hop rhizomes for this spring and have settled on Northern Brewer mostly because I like the fact that it doesn't linger on the tongue.  It has a sharp bitter but then it's gone.  Other hops I've tried tend, mostly noble, to linger on the tongue.  I'd like a spicy, flavorful hop to plant along with my NB but don't know which have the linger I don't like as much.  I'm looking at Sterling but have never used it in a brew. :)
Can anyone help me decide?  I live in Western Nevada, growing zone 7b so almost any hop should grow here.

Charles

Northern Brewer tend to have a long, lingering bitterness, along with a dry hay to raw wood character.

Noble hops aren't known for lingering bitterness, but are known for the spicy quality you described as liking. Noble varieties are the original 4 used in brewing: Hallertauer Mittelfruh, Tettnanger, Czech Saaz and Spalt.

So, I'm confused about what exactly is lingering? Grassy, maybe? Herbal or Grapefruit?

Sterling is a solid substitute for Saaz, one of the Noble varieties. You'll get a floral and lightly peppery quality from it. Willamette and Goldings are also solid aromatic varieties.

Back