• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Option of Using Mr. Beer 2 Gallon Barrel along with Bottling

chpr10j

Apprentice
Reaction score
I have a 5 gallon batch of Milk Stout that will be ready to bottle in 2 weeks.  I saw these kits that were sold exclusively at Target, marked down to $8.88.  They include everything to brew 2 gallons of pale ale.  I have no desire to brew this at all, but was wondering if for under $9, I could use the 2 gallon keg along with bottling.  I would like to transfer 2 gallons into this, and then bottle the the rest.  Then I could just put this into the fridge after sitting for a couple of weeks.  Would this work??? Appreciate all input!

http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Beer-Barrel-gallons-quality/dp/B00S9PF2YC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1422113201&sr=8-3&keywords=mr+beer+barrel+of+beer

The Mr Beer 'keg' (MBK for short) is not really a keg, but is keg shaped.  It has groves in the top where the cap screws on to allow the CO2 produced during fermentation to escape, replacing the need for an airlock.  Your milk stout will not carbonate properly in this device.

Oginme said:
The Mr Beer 'keg' (MBK for short) is not really a keg, but is keg shaped.  It has groves in the top where the cap screws on to allow the CO2 produced during fermentation to escape, replacing the need for an airlock.  Your milk stout will not carbonate properly in this device.

Good to know.  So only use would be for doing a 2 gallon brew I guess.

It would also work for making big yeast starters. A price that cheap is hard to pass up. The pale ale could be brewed on a day you have little time. Their kits are super easy to make and are not terrible tasting. A couple I made when I first started brewing were pretty good.

I have five that I use regularly.  They are great for splitting batches for different yeasts, dry hopping, etc.  I also use them for doing 1-gal SMASH recipes where I mash enough wort for a 5-gal batch and then split it into five 1-gal batches so that I can test out five different hops at one brewing.  It makes about 7 to 9 bottles of a single SMASH test from each MBK.

Back