• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Fermenting question

Bills Garden Brew

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I brewed a Czech style pilsener in Mid December. I let it ferment at 65 F for 24 hours. Then I cooled it to 50 F for the next two weeks. Then I transferred it to secondary four 4 weeks at It has been cycling from 35.7 to 40 in my garage. The beer thief went in to hiding, so the gravity was not taken then. I brought it inside to bottle. The gravity is 1.041 (starting was 1.055). It isn't contaminated, it is a sweet liquid. I chose to add Safale 5 and will brew it at 68F to try and salvage it.  Any ideas why it didn't ferement?

What type of yeast did you use. 50 degrees is a little cold for ale yeast and 24 hours at 65 degrees is a little short on time for fermentation. 50 degrees would be fine for a lager yeast.

+1, next time keep it around 65 for at least a few days, or until fermentation is complete.

Back