• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

First Recipe: Imperial Red Ale

butterblum

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I just completed my first batch of homebrew; I made an IPA using a Brewer’s Best kit. Now that I have successfully completed it, I would like a bit more of a challenge.
I am a college student, constantly on the move, so I don’t have room for a good setup (for all-grain), but I would like to create my own recipe. So I would like to make an Imperial Red Ale using extract. Here are the grains and hops I would like to try, as well as final goals:

9.2% Alcohol
92 IBU
Medium to Dark Red
Caramel Flavor, Citrus Aroma

1.090 SG
Base Malt (extract)
Weyermann CaraRed (20°L)
Briess Crystal 60°L
Briess Crystal 120°L
Briess Roasted Barley
Cascade - Bittering
Centennial – Bittering
Amarillo - Bittering
Amarillo – Aroma
Amarillo – Dry Hop
1056 American Ale Yeast

I know how to do the math, I just have questions on proportions. How much grain should be used, how much extract should be used, and in what proportions (individual grains as well) for a typical red ale (imperial)? I have no idea what types of flavors these grains produce either. How much LME should be used and how much DME should be used? I would just like a medium red color, with lots of bitterness.
Any recommendations/suggestions for this recipe?

I would go with 0.5 too 0.75% of the roast barley. Then 5% of each specialty malt.

The balance being the base pale malt. Figure it out in grain, then convert it to extract. In general, 7# of liquid extract is equal to 10# of pale malt grain.

I love Amarillo as a late edition or dry hop - it's awesome, but in the latest podcast Mitch Steele of Stone Brewing suggested that Amarillo did not work very well as a boil hop and is best used as an aroma hop. I would suggest trying Citra instead which in my experience makes an excellent bittering, flavouring and aroma hop.

As for the rest of the recipe I second Brewfun's comments.

It looks like you don't have a color dialed in yet, but I'd suggest you shoot for something south of 16ish SRM.  My last red ale was at 17 and it's too dark.

Back