• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

adding corn sugar to the boil

bobjohnson

Apprentice
Reaction score
I want to add corn sugar (1lb) to my boil, at 15 minutes remaining.    I can add corn sugar to the recipe just fine.  But, I can not get the program to let me change the time of the boil I add it to.  It says to add it at 70 minutes (part of the boil ingrdients), which is what I have my total boil time set to. 

If the program is working right, having it add the sugar at 70 min will affect how the program calculates my hop utilization. 

What am I missing to get the program to let me pick when to add the sugar to the boil?

If you are doing a partial mash or extract recipe, you can use the "Late Extract Boil" option as a workaround.  Its not perfect, but I think it will work.  To do this, edit the sugar you want to use, and change the type of the sugar to "Extract".  This should not affect the calculations.  Next save it and reopen it again.  On the second go around you will see that you now have the option to do a late extract boil, and can set the time.

If you happen to be doing all grain, you can change the type of recipe to partial mash so you can still use the late extract boil method.

In the future, I probably need to make a fix to allow one to allow sugars to have late extract boil options as well.

Cheers!
Brad

Back