• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

iphone mobile at not calculating "Water to add" from water/grain ratio correctly

ceritz

Apprentice
Reaction score
It seems like my mobile app is not calculating the "water to add" correctly on my infusion strike water to the mash after setting  my water/grain ratio.  For example, I have 23 lbs of grain.  I set my dough-in water/grain ration to 0.333.  It is my understanding the water to add should be 1.91 gallons of water to add at dough-in at temperature X.  In the settings for my dough-in step, it does show 1.92 gallons to add but on the edit mash screen, it shows 2.11 gallons.  Then on my protein rest setup, I double the water to grain ratio to 0.666.  This again should tell me to add 1.91 gallons (equaling a total of 3.8 gallons total) of infusion water to add but it is calculating 1.73 gallons.  Am I missing something on my setup?  This seems a bit weird to me.  Is there someone who can give me any insight to this?  My final infusion will be for the sugar rest up to 1.250 water to grain ratio.

Thanks

I'm not sure - I'm wondering if the 0.333 is really too small or if that would result in a water addition that is above boiling in temperature.  Personally I've never used a ratio below 1.0 qts/lb as the mash would be excessively thick and you would not get a clean conversion.

Brad

Back