• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

OG estimate/Brewsheet pre-boil SG

M

Markus20

I am new to all grain brewing, regarding the OG estimate in the main page, is this based on the overall potential?
On the Brewsheet, the pre-bowl SG would and estimate according to the equipment and the method used?

The reason I am asking this is that I entered a recipe for a Fuller ESB clone, and the OG estimate was 1.044, and in the Brewsheet was 1.038, I ended up with a OG of 1.030 in the fermentor, now when calculating the grain needed, should I base the amounts from the brewsheet, which takes in account my equipment and process?

I used a single infusion, batch sparge, 2 equal running's.

Is my efficiency 78.9% or 68%.

thanks,

Mark

Mark,
  If you want a detailed breakout of efficiencies, click on the "Brewhouse Efficiency" button in your open recipe.  If you fill in the data on that page, it will calculate the various efficiencies.  BeerSmith uses total brewhouse efficiency as a basis of estimate, which is often much lower than the efficiency you will get into the boiler.

It sounds like you may be running around 68% but that is not at all a bad number for a new all grain brewer.

Cheers!
Brad

Back