• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

IBU calculation does not function for 3 gallon batch size

Botono

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I'm using BeerSmith 2.2 on Windows 7. This also seems to happen on the Android app. I created a new recipe with a batch size of 5 gallons. Everything seemed normal, all calculations adding up. I am doing an experimental batch, so I am going to make 3 gallons, so I scaled the recipe down.

When I did this, the amount of hops in the recipe shot up to over 70,000 ounces, but the IBUs stayed the same.  When I tried creating a new 3-gallon recipe from scratch, any hop additions I made had no effect on IBU. It was always 0 (zero). Judging from how the scaled-down recipe went, I think if I adjusted the hops to some huge number then the IBU calculation would move.

It seems that there is a decimal in the wrong place for 3-gallon IBU calculations. :)

Can you post the recipe.bsm so that we can see what is going on?  I have never run across this and I scale recipes all the time from 8L to 10L to 20L to 30L. 

I would guess that when you scaled the recipe down you may have not scaled the entire equipment profile.  This could result in odd things like a zero (or near zero) boil volume which could send the IBU calculations crazy.

Review both the original equipment profile and the volumes in the one you are scaling to - to make sure the volumes are all good.

Brad

BeerSmith said:
I would guess that when you scaled the recipe down you may have not scaled the entire equipment profile.  This could result in odd things like a zero (or near zero) boil volume which could send the IBU calculations crazy.

Review both the original equipment profile and the volumes in the one you are scaling to - to make sure the volumes are all good.

Brad

This was my problem. Thank you very much for helping out a noob!

Back