• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

How to configure BeerSmith after first brew to more accurately predict my #'s?

worldzfree

Brewer
Reaction score
I recently made my first recipe using BeerSmith for a commercial system.  After my fermentation reached TG it turned out the predicted AE and the actual AE were significantly different.  Where do I go into BeerSmith to make the adjustment so I can more accurately predict my end product when I make my next recipe?

This becomes a "get to know your yeast" project. The Max Attenuation % in the yeast ingredient profile is where you make your adjustment.  Start with merely tracking what your yeast does and make sure you note which generation it is, within each logged batch. I've posted log reports that'll help track that.

In time, you'll get a nominal number for attenuation that you can rely on.  In my experience, the first pitch under attenuates. Generations 2-10 all seem to work perfectly, then 11 to 14 tend to over attenuate a little. Tracking on a spreadsheet helps define the curve.

The most important thing is to treat your yeast like you want it around. I pitch at 1 gal/bbl, O2 to 12ppm, and feed it nutrient in every batch. I also have an aseptic harvest and repitch procedure. This can get me to 14 generations before I have to buy. That's about 26-35 fermenter loads.

It's also important that all of your fermenters have the same geometry. Pitching between different geometries causes you to select for wider variations in yeast artifacts, which includes attenuation.

If you're in a country where abv% has tax implications and needs more precistion, high gravity brewing with deaerated water at filtering is the most reliable method

Back