• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash temperature steps when using a HERMS system (Blichman w/ Electric brewery)

SilverLeaf_Brewery

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hey all- wondering if anybody has a solution to this.

I have a 3-kettle Blichmann setup with the Electric Brewery. I use pumps and a HERMS coil to regulate the temperature of my mash, and I'm having issues putting multiple temp steps in for the Mashing tab. I can put the steps in, mark them as temperature, but the software still insists that I need to add infusion water, and so it screws up the volume calculations. Normally I mash at about a 1.3 ratio, but by the time I put all my steps in, including mashout at 168, I can have all the way up to 7.1!

Does anybody know to put temperature steps in the Mash section without it wanting to automatically think I'm doing an infusion? A HERMS setup isn't an option for the profiles, so I'm kinda getting frustrated.

Thanks much!

In the mash step are you setting the Water To Add Box to zero.

In addition to Ihikeut's suggestion, there may be some small rounding error. Add some additional decimal places, so you can see it (Options > Units).

Most often this is caused by "mash tun deadspace" being >0. Set it to zero. Add all of your steps, then add the deadspace (if it's actually unrecovered wort). If it's recovered in sparge, then it's not deadspace, but an additional water amount for infusion. As long as it creates the wort gravity and quality you need, it's appropriate.

Okay- this is flat out bizarre, and I'm not sure where the variables are being pulled from...

*IF* I go into the equipment profiles and adjust the mash profile, it actually seems to work, and the water ratios are kept where they need to be and temperature steps work without changing water volume.

*BUT*... If I attempt to clear out the steps put in by the profile and add different ones, it seems to automatically think everything is an infusion-based rise.

Thanks for the help everybody, I know how to compensate for this now, but hopefully we can get some bug-fixes or clarification (or heck, just HERMS and Fly-sparging possibilities) in the next version! :)

Can you post for equipment and mash profiles. I have been using a HERMS system for several years without any problem designing mash temp step profiles. All I can think is the NAME of mash profile is not being saved and it is changing back to a original profile.

Back