• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

please help a new all grain brewer

azgringo

Apprentice
Reaction score
This is my first all grain batch and first time using BeerSmith.  I am wondering how to enter the original gravity pre-boil to determine the efficiency of my set up.
I took it after draining second runnings into kettle and it came out to 1.028 at 142 degrees, I used a an online calculator based on that temp to get an adjusted OG of 1.042. 
First, did I do this correctly and where do I enter the info in BeerSmith to find the efficiency?

You can enter your actual results in the appropriate tabs for the recipe you are brewing.  For the pre-boil volume and gravity to figure out your actual mash/lauter efficiency, the results can be entered on the 'Mash' tab.

I would also try and get your sample as close to 60° as you can for optimal accuracy of the hydrometer reading. Even with the online calculator its still more accurate at the temp your hydrometer is calibrated to

Thanks...At what point would the pre-boil wort be down to 60 if it comes out of the mash tun at over 160 and then to the boil pot?  Am I supposed to let it completely cool to do the reading before boiling to add the hops?

No just fill your cylinder for your gravity sample with wort and put it in the freezer. You can get the boil started and just dump the sample back in after taking the gravity reading

I am wondering how to enter the original gravity pre-boil to determine the efficiency of my set up.

On the mash page look for this attached. You will need an accurate volume measurement too.  White boxes are all user input.

Attachments

• Capture 1.PNG
    Capture 1.PNG
    7.8 KB · Views: 419
I use a small mason jar for cooling the wort down.  I take about 200 - 250 ml of wort, put a special cover on which has a hole drilled in it for a thermometer.  I then put this into a ice/water batch to cool while I get the kettle started towards boiling and weigh out my hops.  It usually takes about 10 minutes to chill to 68 F, which is where my hydrometer is calibrated.

Also, as noted by KernelCrush, you need to get a good reading on your volume in order to have BeerSmith give you a good calculation of your actual efficiency.

Its not the worlds most accutare method but here is what i use for measuring volume. Works for me.

Attachments

• 20150224_095856.jpg
    20150224_095856.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 456
Back