• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

An Italian Lager

Onepotbrewer

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi Proper Brewers!

I am new to brewing and have purchased one of the starter kits to put in my newly acquired basement. My first "brew" was an Apple Pie and custard cider which has gone down brilliantly. I think I got lucky! I'm now trying to impress my in-laws who mainly drink Peroni's when I go round to visit. Has anyone got any advice on how to adapt a kit to make it like an Italian lager. I was advised to buy a light lager initially and then research it, but I ha vent managed to find much out.

Cheers!

Onepotbrewer

Do you have good fermentation temp regulation?  Lagers are more picky than ales when it comes to fermentation temps.

I agree with Brewmex!  Trying to make a lager for your first brew is setting yourself up to fail. 

Will you make a drinkable beer?  Probably. 

Will you make something that will impress the in-laws?  I doubt it!

An ale is a much better choice for a first brew.  However, you probably won't impress the in-laws with anything that you make, unless they already have acquired an appreciation for a flavorful ale type of beer.

Fermentation temperature control is critical when making the type of beer that you're striving to make.  You'll have to be able to hold fermentation temperatures in the 50F (+ or - a few degrees) range to make a good enough lager to impress them.

If you ferment a lager at higher temperatures, you've basically made a steam beer.  Steam beers can be quite lager-like, but it probably won't be anything like a Peroni.

Here are some links to resources on Steam beer, lager beer and making a peroni clone.  No matter what route you decide to take, I wish you good luck with your attempt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_beer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lager

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=9280.0

That's good advice from Brewmex & Scott. Lager is extremely difficult to get right but extremely rewarding when you do.

The first reasonable beer that I made from a kit, many years ago now, was a stout which is a lot more forgiving if you get it slightly wrong. I made quite a few kits before turning to extract brewing followed by all grain. Most were drinkable but I don't think I ever made a one that would impress anybody. I never tried a lager kit.

I know kits are far better quality nowadays, especially the more expensive ones. The yeast is the critical component of any good beer and I have no idea what strain they include in lager kits. I would guess it's actually an ale yeast.

I occasionally brew a Kolsch which is fermented with a Kolsch ale yeast and most people would swear it was a lager. However, it doesn't have the crisp, clean taste that you get with a good quality lager such as Peroni. You only get that by using a larger yeast and fermenting at a carefully controlled low temperature.

There are many ways of improving a cheap kit but you can easily end up paying more than you would for a decent one. Avoid the kits where you have to add lots of sugar. They make beer, of sorts, but it's never good. Buy an 'all malt' kit.

I dont think there's much you can do to change a lager kit to make a it taste like a particular beer. My advice is to buy a good quality kit and see what happens. You'll never know until you try. Let us know what happens.

Thank you all for the advice.

I went to a brewing shop in Chesterfield today. It blew my mind! The wealth of options available is unbelievable! I decided to buy a lager yeast and put it with the kit I've already bought. I'm setting up my cellar to have a more consistent temperature, so fingers crossed I can make a palatable lager. I've only got this cellar for one year- need to make the most of it!

Cheers!

Back