• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

IBUs bug with hopped extracts & “add after boil”

L

luwak

The resulting IBUs for a recipe containing just a hopped extract added straight into the fermenter (“add after boil” set) should be unaffected by the “boil volume” as it never touches the boiler but IBUs incorrectly vary depending on the boil volume set.

Thanks.

Lewak
  You are correct, though I certainly would not recommend adding hopped extract after the boil.  You should always boil your extract, even if for a short time to sterilize it.  You might want to mark it as a late extract boil and boil it for at least 15 minutes.

Add after boil ingredients are primarily for fruits and other additions that are not normally boiled.

However, I will certainly look into correcting this in future versions.

Cheers!
Brad Smith
beersmith.com

I have now tried the software on both late extract boil for 1 minute and 15 minutes with the same results.

IBUs change incorrectly with boil volume.

It would seem to be a more serious problem with hopped extracts in general not just with “add after boil”

Jeff

Jeff,
  The intent was to approximate the calculations you might see for an equivalent hop addition - it is calculated in much the same way any other hop addition including use of the boil size and current hop equation.

I'm not entirely happy with the current setup - as it is harder to use than it needs to be, and does not scale as well as the other ingredients.

I'm thinking for the future it might be easier to specify a simple measure such as a number of IBUs per several pounds for a target volume, and then scale by volume after that.  For example one might specify 20 IBUs for a 5 gal batch as the contribution of 3.3 lbs of the hopped extract, which would scale up or down depending on the actual target volume. 

The other nice thing about such a system is that it would probably be easy to estimate from the style what the approximate IBU content of the hopped extract is.

I would appreciate anyone else's thoughts on this - I searched for some time to find accurate manufacturer data for hopped extract but have not had much luck finding it.

Cheers!
Brad

As a new brewer and a brand new BeerSmith user I would appreciate an easier way to enter the hopped extract I am using. Since I am still green I am also struggling with some of the calculations.

For example I just used half a can of Muntons IPA in a 2.5 gallon batch. I am having all sorts of issues. The can says for 6 gallons but I used 2lbs of the 4lb can. The website provides the following information: OG 1.040-1.044, Color (EBC) 22-28, Bitterness (EBU) 17-23, Solids 80%-82%.

Anyway, an easier way to handle hopped extracts would be nice.

On the hopped extract additions, I totally agree.  We are planning to significantly overhaul these settings in the future to make it easier to enter hopped extracts using the number of IBUs for a given amount of extract.

Cheers!
Brad

Do you have any time frame for this upgrade? I began brewing with Mr Beer and still use it along with my five gallon setup, and I hang on the Mr Beer forum. There tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of users and I began playing with Beersmith to try to approximate the Mr Beer HMEs and UMEs. As long as I am simply repeating a Mr Beer Recipe I can be very close, but now I suspect that I would not be once I started adding specialty grains etc. I agree that all you need is some way to keep HMEs hop contribution out of the calculation for the boil and simply have it as an 'add in'.

Back