Author Topic: Blueberry Wheat Recipe using Fresh Blueberries?  (Read 8088 times)

Offline chpr10j

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Blueberry Wheat Recipe using Fresh Blueberries?
« on: February 28, 2015, 06:05:48 AM »
So I planned on brewing a Blueberry Wheat beer tomorrow using fresh blueberries.  Thought I would be able to find a recipe that has worked pretty easy, but doesn't seem to be the case.  Is there anyone out there that has one that has been successful for them?  I don't normally do a second fermentation and that seems to be key.  Any help would be great.  Looking to purchase all my ingredients this afternoon.  Thanks!!

Offline Maine Homebrewer

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
Re: Blueberry Wheat Recipe using Fresh Blueberries?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 06:36:21 AM »
I made a delicious blueberry ale that was wonderful until the bottles turned into gushers. Don't know if it was the blueberries that added the infection, or something else. But it was the bomb before the bottles turned into bombs.

If I was to do it again, I'd add sulphites (Campden tablets, available at most homebrew shops) to the berries before adding them to the brew.
"To alcohol! The cause of - and solution to - all of life's problems!" -Homer Simpson

Offline Slurk

• Slurk
  • Life is too short!
    • SLURK BEER  By Foeyn Minibryggeri
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 10:14:04 AM »
I use them in my "Mountain Beer" and put them in the secondary. I have them in a large kettle and cover them with boiling water and wait for approx. 10 minutes before I put them in the secondary. Never had any infection issues or gelatin haze.
Ad Fundum!

Ready to drink: Slurk Fjellbrygg, Slurk Foeyn Ale, Slurk Agurk (Cucumber Wit), Slurk Belgian Blonde, Slurk Eng (Raspberry Wit), Slurk Hav (Seaweed Wit)
Aging: Slurk Whirled White Wheat (Wit)
Fermenting:
Next brew: Slurk Hav

Offline chpr10j

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 10:17:18 AM »
I use them in my "Mountain Beer" and put them in the secondary. I have them in a large kettle and cover them with boiling water and wait for approx. 10 minutes before I put them in the secondary. Never had any infection issues or gelatin haze.

Thanks for the feedback.  I have never used a secondary, but from what I'm reading, this is the only way to do any kind of fruit beer with success.  How many pounds of blueberries did you use?

Offline Slurk

• Slurk
  • Life is too short!
    • SLURK BEER  By Foeyn Minibryggeri
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 10:32:31 AM »
How many pounds of blueberries did you use?

For colouring I use 500gr per 20L.
For taste I use between 800 -1000gr per 20L.
Ad Fundum!

Ready to drink: Slurk Fjellbrygg, Slurk Foeyn Ale, Slurk Agurk (Cucumber Wit), Slurk Belgian Blonde, Slurk Eng (Raspberry Wit), Slurk Hav (Seaweed Wit)
Aging: Slurk Whirled White Wheat (Wit)
Fermenting:
Next brew: Slurk Hav

Offline catsofaz1

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 08:29:26 PM »
Curious how your Blueberry brew turned out. I made a Honey Steamer (2.5 lbs honey) and added around 4lbs frozen blueberries to the secondary. Ended up kegging that batch and wow so good. So much sugar and alcohol I couldn't focus on watching an episode of Walking Dead.