• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

brewing with cranberries

Michael

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I am trying to create a cranberry chocolate stout recipe. I have seen a number of recipes using cranberries with the cranberries being added into the mash, boil, primary and secondary fermentation. I was considering adding them to the mash. Any thoughts about pros and cons regarding this. Any thoughts on which point would be best to add the cranberries?

Cranberries contain a huge amount of natural pectin.  Heating them above 135 will release that pectin and thicken your wort.  I added fresh cranberries to a small sauce pot with a 1/4 cup of water and held it at 130F until they softened enough that I could mash them and then added them to the secondary for a month.  The beer came out with a nice cranberry taste.  Alternately you could use a cranberry flavor extract just before bottling, but I'd avoid using them in the mash or boil.  Just my thought.

Back