• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Hazy Beer

Roosterbrews

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi guys,Can I ask why my last few bottle conditioned All Grain Brew's have ended up with a haze. I do use a wort chiller the only change  I have made is I have adjusted my grain  bill to accommodate  10% Cara Pils  to try to gain better head retention but I have ended up with a slightly hazy beer like a chill haze ( without the chill). I used 90% Pale Malt and 10% Cara Pils simple mash at 150 F. All my previous  brews using only 100% Pale Malt with the same mash have all been as clear as a bell, is this a common thing with Cara Pils.

my short experience in striving for clear beer has been that time and temp will do the trick.  I've found that if not sooner, about 3 weeks at fridge temps will clear just about every batch up.

I had a beer with a lot of hop induced haze which I just accepted as natural. Well I forgot a bottle of it in the back of the fridge and did not end up drinking until a month after the rest (about 10 weeks after brewing). Well that beer was absolutely crystal clear with no haze whatsoever. So the point is, if you give it time it will clear. Carapils by it's nature may be responsible for the haze you are seeing but it won't be permanent.

Heavy hop additions add lots of oils which can haze a beer.  Also yeast can cloud a beer.  What type of yeast are you using?  Did you use irish moss or a whirl floc tab in the last few minute of the boil?

Back