• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

When should I rack my Lager to a secondary?

JimmyG

Apprentice
Reaction score
Lagering a 1 gallon batch right now (first lager ever).  Today it will be two weeks in the primary.  I am still getting getting bubbles every 6-7 seconds.  Not sure if I should let it go longer until I am only getting a few bubbles per minute and then transfer to a secondary, or if I should get it off the original yeast right now?  What do you guys think? 

What I do is at the point your at now is I raise the temperature and start Diacetyl Rest. When that is finished I lower the temperature to Lager temperature for a week, then I rack it and Lager for three more weeks.

prj28 said:
What I do is at the point your at now is I raise the temperature and start Diacetyl Rest. When that is finished I lower the temperature to Lager temperature for a week, then I rack it and Lager for three more weeks.
So you don't transfer to a secondary at all, you just rest it, then lager for a week,... then rack it to bottles/ keg?  I'm a little nervous because I made a 5 gallon batch of a Belgian last year that ended up being ruined... tasted like medicine.  I am guessing it may have been because I left it in the primary too long ( to long yeast contact maybe?). 

Back