• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash Tun Volume and Weight

BigErn

New Forum Member
Reaction score
                  How should I enter the Mash Tun Volume and Weight in the equipment profile.I have a 56qt Coleman extreme color as a mash tun? Most of my brews will be 5gal,10gal batches.
                                                                                                  Thanks Ernie

The weight is the mashtun empty. The volume is any volume you're comfortable using. Most brewers will just use the capacity of the cooler, but it could also be the volume you're comfortable filling it with. The volume simply sets BeerSmith to alert you when you've exceeded that capacity.

You will want to have two equipment profiles for the different batch sizes. If losses to deadspace and trub are equal for both batch sizes, then you'll have a different Brewhouse Efficiency for each. Your 5 gallon batches will have less BHE, even if both have the same mash efficiency.

Brewfun,
  Thanks for the help buddy!
                                    Ernie

Back