• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Input grain amounts in oz and/or lbs OR %

JonathanS

Apprentice
Reaction score
Many beer recipes state the grain amounts of specialty grains like Crystal in ounces. The beersmith interface only accepts inputs in units of pounds. I would like to be able to input my grains in a combination of pounds and ounces, or as a percentage of the current recipe grain bill. The input interface could dynamically recalculate the percentage of current recipe grain bill automatically as the pounds and ounces fields are modified.

In 'options', there is a tab which will allow you to select your choice of standard units to display the recipes in.  Additionally, you can type in a number for a given ingredient and the unit (ie. 1.00 lb) and beer smith will do the conversion for you.

I do what Oginme suggests.  For example, if I want to add 4 ounces, I type in 4 oz and Beersmith converts it to .25 pounds.

Sounds to me like the op wants to input the recipe by percentage and have beersmith calculate the weight of the grain.
Instead of putting in 10lb Maris Otter, for example, put in say 78.6% maris otter and have beersmith convert that to 10lb for example. Right?

No. My primary concern is that I need to manually (with a calculator) do the math to convert from ounces to pounds, and there is potentially some roundoff error in the process. Please ignore the secondary suggestion of percentage (%) for now.

I would like for the beersmith interface to accept input in combined terms of pounds and ounces, for example 5 lbs 5 oz. If I input 18 oz in the ounces field then beersmith should round up to the next nearest lbs and leave me with the difference remainder in the ounces field.

Back