• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Too much carbonation

Sixpack

Apprentice
Reaction score
So, don't laugh at me, this is my second batch of brew. I open the bottles after carbonation and they instantly overflow. Did I use too much priming sugar? If so how do I know how much to use? The first batch I did had detailed instructions (kit I got for Christmas). The second batch didn't have many instructions I just used a recipe and followed what I did for the first batch. Any help would be appreciated

Overcarbonation has one of three possible causes.

1.  Too much bottling sugar.  I tend to use the low end of the carbonation range for thee style, so that I don't use too much sugar.
2.  Bottling too early, before fermentation is complete.  Patience solves this one.
3.  Contamination.  Look for a ring inside the bottle at the fill level.  There isn't always a ring in a contaminated bottle, but it is a solid indicator that you have contamination when you do have a ring.

Ok. I bet I used too much sugar. It's a stout and I used the same amount of sugar for the blond I made in the first batch. I let it ferment for 3 weeks and didn't see any type of contamination ring around the bottle. **another nub question** how do I determine how much priming sugar to use?

Beersmith has a carbonation in the tools tab.

There is also a second one on the recipe design page. It is on the fermentation tab.

Back