• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Changing BeerSmith directory

aka_tico

Apprentice
Reaction score
Greetings,
When I first installed BeerSmith2 couple of years ago, I pointed its directory to my DropBox so everything would be backed up there. Today my laptop died and I installed BeerSmith on a new computer and pointed it to the same location on DropBox. It says everything in the new directory would be erased!!
Is there any workaround? Should I create new directory, point BS2 there and then copy and past the files? will that work or am I going to loose everything?

/Tico

Teklad pavisian
Head Brewer
Benelux Brasserie Artisanal et cafe
4026 Rue. Wellington, Verdun, Que
Canada
H4G1V3
brasseriebenelux.com

Replying to my own post here in case anybody else runs to the same problem!!

I went ahead and did as I had outlined in the post and it worked.

Cheers
/Tico

I discovered the same thing even though my situation is a bit different.  I installed BeerSmith onto my NAS (network Area Storage) so that I can access BS from any of my 3 computers.  However BS keeps info such as recipe and equipment profiles on the local computer (My documents) I want this info available to all 3 computers on the NAS.  I setup everything like recipes and equipment on one computer and simply used "change documents directory" to point to a folder in the beerSmith folder on my NAS (Changing the name because for some reason both the program folder and the documents folder are named exactly the same!)
However I discovered that when I went to setup the second and third computer with the new NAS location it wanted to overwright the data (no option to use what is in the new path or to skip) 
SO first I had to copy "the good folder" (with all my profiles) on the NAS to a temp folder, then set up all 3 computers to "the good folder" (wiping the data each time) then finally I coped the files from the temp folder back to "the good folder".  wow that could have been easier.

Hope that helps someone.

Back