• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

BeerSmith on a Chromebook

cmbrougham

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I've been thinking about picking up a Chromebook since my big, honking laptop is old and heavy and I don't need it for what it used to be used for. I can do most things online now, so a Chromebook is fine, but BeerSmith is the one outlier. I've read of a few different methods that allow you to use Windows or Linux apps on a Chromebook, but I'm just wondering if anyone has done this successfully.

(And yes, I have BS Mobile, but find it virtually unusable, so I'm looking to stick with the desktop version.)

Thanks for any info!

I don't currently have an app for Chromebook - sorry...

Brad

Brad, is being able to use BS2 on Chromebook something we can look forward to? If so, how soon?

Nuts!  I literally just ordered a Chromebook about 7 minutes ago,  and came on here to figure out how to unlock my second copy,  since it was installed on my laptop which crashed. Now I'm bummed! Hopefully this can be resolved soon?

I've been running BeerSmith on my Dell Chromebook since not long after that post, using a utility called "crouton" and Ubuntu Linux. Effectively, you run Linux inside Chrome, and on Linux you can run BeerSmith. Takes a little time to set up but really isn't that difficult--you basically just copy and paste shell commands to get Ubuntu installed.

I used the guide here, modifying a little along the way: 5 Steps to Install Linux on ChromeBook

See image for proof. Might be able to provide more info if you get hung up.

Attachments

• beersmith-on-chromebook.png
    beersmith-on-chromebook.png
    365.7 KB · Views: 1,153
Thanks!  That was all Greek to me,  but I'll certainly give it a try when it arrives!

Hah! Next week while I'm on holiday break I'll try to write up a step-by-step and post it here, as others may be interested in this as well. Stay tuned...

Man, that is all way over my head. It's inspiring to know it can be done though. I might give it a try but I'm afraid I'll mess something up on my Chromebook in the process.

My Chromebook arrived today.  First on the agenda... try to get BeerSmith working!  I'm already stuck, though.  I have to set up developer mode to do this?  I'm not very computer saavy, and I don't know that I want to take much risk with my brand new laptop.  Anyone have any insight on what the risks might be, in layman terms?

This is the first link to pop up when searching for "beersmith chromebook" on google.  As of lately, there is a ton of guides on how to enable developer mode and install ubuntu so you can install beersmith. EDIT: but I just found a way easier way for those with a windows desktop, simple install chrome remote desktop. https://www.cnet.com/how-to/run-windows-software-on-a-chromebook/

Choose the guide that makes the most sense to you:
https://lifehacker.com/how-to-install-linux-on-a-chromebook-and-unlock-its-ful-509039343
https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/install-ubuntu-on-chromebook#0
I have ubuntu 14.04 on mine, but am going to try 16.04 right away using this link: http://chrisboo.com/uncategorized/install-ubuntu-16-04-on-chromebook-using-crouton/

Once you have ubuntu installed download the debian package from the beersmith 2 or 3 download site for the version of ubuntu you installed. 

1. you can check the version of ubuntu by opening the terminal app and typing the command:
Code:
cat /etc/issue
2. once the .deb file is downloaded, use the terminal app to navigate to your Download folder:
Code:
cd ~/Downloads
3. now install by using command example:
Code:
sudo dpkg -i BeerSmith-2.3.12_14_amd64.deb
4. it's possible not all the required packages are installed, you'll need to force them to install using this command:
Code:
sudo apt-get -f install

Now you're done, go to your apps, open beersmith and activate as normal.

Back