• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Need help: trying to scale from 14bbl to 5gal

mavrick1903

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I have a recipe from a brewmaster that's at 14bbl and need to scale down to 5 gal. I'm "comfortable" with the software, but dont have an equipment profile (or know where to begin creating one for that size) for a 14bbl system. Could someone send me a recipe that uses a 14 bbl for a pale ale? I think (hope) I can convert from there.

Thanks,

Doug

Does the recipe show you the percentages of each malt and the OG?

Hopping becomes the tricky part because so many things can affect the profile. Is his system steam jacket, colandria or direct fire?

To simplify the scaling, I'd target the malt as percentages needed to make the OG work on your scale. That'll get you the right color, abv and malt flavor profile.

I would imagine that your homebrew system is a little less efficient at hop utilization that his. Plus, if he uses a high alpha bittering hop, you can exchange that for a reasonable quantity of a lower alpha hop, just to have a measurable quantity. For instance, I can use 1 lb of Magnum to get 15 IBUs in my batch, but it scales to 0.03 oz at homebrew scale, which is kinda hard to measure.

Thanks, that does help. I have the pounds used, but I have the complete bill, so converting to percent should be easy enough. It's an angle that I'd neglected.

Back