Author Topic: How big of a mash tun do I need for 12 gallon batches?  (Read 4092 times)

Offline crane

• BeerSmith New Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
How big of a mash tun do I need for 12 gallon batches?
« on: March 12, 2015, 12:51:05 PM »
Hi all

A new all-grainer here. I'm trying to set up BeerSmith to allow me do about 10-12 gallon batches with a single infusion and one step batch sparge. I find it hard to believe that even with a 70 qrt. mash tun I could only make a 9 gallon batch of OG 1.048 with a single sparge step... can that be? That's about 21 pounds of grain in BIG cooler.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 12:54:47 PM by crane »

Offline happy hillbilly

• BeerSmith Master Brewer
  • drunk agin but still purty
Re: How big of a mash tun do I need for 12 gallon batches?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 03:49:53 PM »
ole happy here. my standard 8 gallon batch with a startin og of 1.050 or so is done in a 10 gallon water cooler with 14.5 lbs. of grain and a single batch sparge. when i add the sparge water it is pretty full.                   happy brewin

Offline twhitaker

• Beer, It's the best damn drink in the world! - Jack Nicholson
  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • Canadian Amateur Brewers Assoc. member since 1987
Re: How big of a mash tun do I need for 12 gallon batches?
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 04:07:39 PM »
  Hello, I make 12 gallon batches , 5%ABV SG 1.050, in a 40 qt mash kettle, 10 us gallon. Not sure about coolers, perhaps more lost space due to larger surface area.
Just barely fits, with a 5% ABV.,  22lbs grain, 18 and 15 quart infusions then use burner for heating up to 168 mashout .
Other recipes use less water. Perhaps you could use less water in your mash and add more to the sparge, I have done this sometimes, although I continuous sparge. Also depends on how big the HLT is, how much sparge water it can hold. Mine is 9 gallons.
For heavy beers (10%ABV) I can only make 6 gallons.Boil kettle is 60 qt, and I use it to heat water for each step and transfer to the mash or HL Tun. My setup in on the Brewpics post,general discussion;look and see.
On tap: 1/2keg cream ale with corn grits
             1/4 keg-  Trappist Quad Ale w/ oak
Day 10 primary: West Coast I.P.A. with homegrown columbus hops 46 liters