• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

How big of a mash tun do I need for 12 gallon batches?

crane

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi all

A new all-grainer here. I'm trying to set up BeerSmith to allow me do about 10-12 gallon batches with a single infusion and one step batch sparge. I find it hard to believe that even with a 70 qrt. mash tun I could only make a 9 gallon batch of OG 1.048 with a single sparge step... can that be? That's about 21 pounds of grain in BIG cooler.

ole happy here. my standard 8 gallon batch with a startin og of 1.050 or so is done in a 10 gallon water cooler with 14.5 lbs. of grain and a single batch sparge. when i add the sparge water it is pretty full.                  happy brewin

Hello, I make 12 gallon batches , 5%ABV SG 1.050, in a 40 qt mash kettle, 10 us gallon. Not sure about coolers, perhaps more lost space due to larger surface area.
Just barely fits, with a 5% ABV.,  22lbs grain, 18 and 15 quart infusions then use burner for heating up to 168 mashout .
Other recipes use less water. Perhaps you could use less water in your mash and add more to the sparge, I have done this sometimes, although I continuous sparge. Also depends on how big the HLT is, how much sparge water it can hold. Mine is 9 gallons.
For heavy beers (10%ABV) I can only make 6 gallons.Boil kettle is 60 qt, and I use it to heat water for each step and transfer to the mash or HL Tun. My setup in on the Brewpics post,general discussion;look and see.

Back