• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Yeast Profiles

evilotto

Apprentice
Reaction score
So I notice that beer smith calculates viable yeast.  I've always pitched a single pack of Wyeast into a 5-gallon batch and the pitching rate is (as I'm told correct).  Under the Starter tab, BeerSmith tells me that I need to use 83 yeast packs if I don't make a substantial starter to achieve the 410 billion cell count that I need.  This seems outrageous.  Any thoughts?

Check the Package Date on the yeast ingredient.

Seems something is off. On the yeast profile tab, Check all parameters- the package size, batch size, date, etc.  Mine tells me 8 packages for 12 US gallons.
PS I have used one 11.5 gram package dry saflager in 6 US gallon batches many times without even rehydrating and it's bubbling within 12-24 hours.
Lately though, I save the yeast cake from the bottom of the primary, in boiled mason jars,  and find 12 US gallon batches start immediately with a pint of yeast slurry from a previous batch. After 6 or seven times, I start again or add slurry and a package of new yeast .

Keeping yeast Saf 05 (Fermentis) In the fridge maintains its freshness really well I have found I use 1 pack 11 Gms per 5 gallons 19 Litres... Daves Brewshop in North Sydney, keeps them in the fridge so the cold chain seems to be reliable... I always rehydrate the yeast using water from my water filter so its chlorine and Chloramine free... Hydrating the yeast wakes it up, if you like that phrase, there is a very good technical reason for doing so...as I understand it the yeast gets ready for chomping sugars. If you take dry yeast and sprinkle it onto your wort the yeast has to start working immediately and does not get a chance to have a warm up. It will still ferment your wort either way. In my experience I pitch ale yeast at about 20 Centigrade 68 F... because its still early autumn in Sydney and I cannot get it any cooler but then put it into my fermenting fridge immediately and it gets down to 18 C 65 F within a day and mostly its started forming a krausen by the morning 12 hours later... The dates of the package should say when its best before by?? and even so I have used dry yeast over these dates and I still get great beer... but I never go over 1060 and with higher OGs you need more yeast. I have had bad things happen when reusing yeast so for $5 to $6 a pack of yeast I use a new one each time... I hate chucking a full 5 gallons of beer down the drain because of infections.

Back