• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Alaskan Hopothermia

Warix

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi there!

I have just finished up some Alaskan Hopothermia.  It is their Double IPA.  I really enjoyed the beer and I would love to try and brew some.  I just can't find a recipe anywhere.  Do you know of anybody trying to clone this beer?

From the Alaskan website
OG -1.076
ABV 8.5
Bitterness 70
Color 20 SRM

It uses Nugget, Apollo, Amarillo, Citra and Centennial hops.

I am a extract brewer trying to graduate to all grain but not there yet.  I am also not comfortable with trying to creat my own recipes.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Bill

This is all that I could find on it.

Hopping:
Nugget and Apollo hops added in the brew kettle provide a green, floral aroma and citrus hop base, while the later addition of Amarillo, Citra, and Centennial hops add notes of spicy grapefruit and orange - complimenting the resilient malt profile.

Original Gravity:  1.076
ABV: 8.5%
IBU's: 70
Color: 20

I have no idea what their grain bill or yeast is.  I did find a reference that suggested it might be an overhopped version of Mirror Pond.

Thanks Scott! That is pretty much what I have found as well.  I will keep searching!

20 srm seems awfully dark. Thats Amber ale country lol.

Yes 20 SRM is on the dark side for an American IPA but in the realm of possibility for a historical English, also I believe 8.5% does mesh with beer that actually went to India. More modern interpretations of English IPA tended to wards a much lower strength and bitterness than the original export.

I strongly suggest Warix tries to develop his own recipe. The best way to learn recipe development is through experience, and your not going to get any of that until you start doing it!

TAHammerton said:

I strongly suggest Warix tries to develop his own recipe. The best way to learn recipe development is through experience, and your not going to get any of that until you start doing it!

Thanks for the suggestion.  I went down to my LHBS and with some help we did work up a recipe.  I plan to brew it ether this weekend or next. We will see how close it gets. Even if I don't hit the nail on the head it should still be a tasty beer.

Thanks for the push!

Cheers!

Back