• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Gelatin fining

FBattis

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello guys. I am planning to use gelatin in the secondary fermentation (at room temperature). Doubts:

- can gelatin be used for beers with maturation at room temp?

- will the use of gelatin negatively impact carbonation in the bottle?

Thank you

Is this just for the heck of it, or do you have a problem with cloudy beer?

If you are trying it just for the sake of trying it, then I'd say go for it.

If you've got a problem with cloudy beer, then maybe your process could be adjusted.

I used a porcine gelatin fining a little over a week ago (three days before bottling, it recommended at least two days on the package) and let it do it's thing at room temperature, which was 20c (68F) at the time. My bigger concern when I opened the package was the foul odor. Smelled like a pig farm! But I mixed it with warm water and added it (indeed, by the time I mixed it the odor was gone). The beer wasn't particularly clouded but I wanted to see what a fining would do. It cleared it noticeably by bottling -- and didn't taste like pork rinds! Still waiting to see how it might affect bottle conditioning.

I used to use it decades ago. Now I find that by using irish moss in the boil, and whirpooling; the beer is pretty much clear when fermentation starts. So you only have to wait for the yeast to settle out , about the time it takes to carbonate and voila- clear beer. Cold crashing helps settle the yeast. So no need for extra finings. But if you find you like the results, use it. I use finings in wine regularly. kieselsol and chitosan, in 2 parts.  If you plan to reuse yeast, gelatin is a no no.

Thank you so much for the hints.

I am still worried about the effects of the fining to the carbination process.

Anyway, I think I am going to give gelatin fining a try. I would rather use Irish Moss, but it is a little expensive here in Brazil.

I will keep you posted about the results. Tks a lot!!! 

Flavio

Yes to both questions. It works at room temperature or even in keg while cold crashing. It works better with uncarbed beer but still works fine...just takes longer.

I add to all my beers except for weizens.

Mark
FBattis said:
Hello guys. I am planning to use gelatin in the secondary fermentation (at room temperature). Doubts:

- can gelatin be used for beers with maturation at room temp?

- will the use of gelatin negatively impact carbonation in the bottle?

Thank you

Been a week since I bottled the beer I used a porcine gelatin fining in and it's carbonating without issue. Gonna turn out fine. I bottled with corn sugar to 2.3 vols.

But from my one sample I don't see that it's turning out any clearer than when I've used Irish moss. The bottle I opened was a "tester", the last I bottled. Maybe upcoming bottles will be clearer. 

@FBattis, if Irish moss is pricy in Brazil maybe your LHBS carries Whirlflock? WhirlFlock is just Irish Moss pressed into tablets.

Back