• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

grain H2O absorbtion

Hi,
  Go to the options dialog (tools menu) and click on the advanced tab.  The "Volume for 1 kg of grain" is probably the one you would want to adjust.  However, I also suggest taking a look at your equipment settings to be sure they are accurate.  You could be losing some volume to lauter tun deadspace for instance.

Cheers!
Brad

Thanks Brad , actually though my problem is that , for example, say I add 3.5 gallons to the mash tun on the initial infusion . After mashing , when I transfer to the boil kettle I only end up with about 2 gallons. The tun drains fairly well so I dont have a big reservoir of undrained mash . Also , after I see what I am short for making my target volume , thats how much water I add for the batch sparge and in that step ( same tun , pump , grain bed , everything) I dont lose any volume. Thats why I thought the grain was absorbing more than what the software was figuring.Your thoughts?

Back