• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Entering Hopped Malt Extract

R

Rick

First off, hello all.

It's been some time (a few years) since I've brewed a batch and even then I had only brewed three or four.  I had planned to create a recipe and order for an extract with grains but while out of town I dropped by a homebrew store and, on impulse, picked up a True Brew Nut Brown Ale kit.

I've never brewed from a kit before but wanted to try (as best possible) to enter the recipe from the kit into Beersmith.  However, I've no idea what should go into the entry for the hops in the hopped can of extract.  It's Muton's Hopped Light (liquid) malt extract and lists Solids: 80-80%; Color (EBC): 8-12; Bitterness (EBUs): 25-35.  I entered the 81% for dry yield (just a guess equating the solids to the SG), entered 30 EBU and Beersmith converted, but I've no idea what to enter for the Hop Alpha or Hop Weight.  How do you back-figure those?

Thanks,

Rick

Rick,
  Most extracts have a potential of around 1.036.

For the equivalent hops, the best I can offer is to try something like this: 
    Hop Alpha: 5%, Boil time 60 min, Hop Weight: 0.75 oz per 3.3 lb.

If you set it up as a regular 5 gallon batch of beer, and then don't add anything but the hopped extract you can get an idea of the hop contribution.

I am planning to revamp the hopped extract in the next version to make it easier to enter typical hopped extracts.

Cheers!
Brad

Thanks, Brad -- your suggestion was what I had determined to try: enter only the LME and play with the numbers to get that amount of bittering to match what the can indicated, and the 81% I entered for yield on the can of LME gave me 1.037, so close enough.  End result of the recipe's estimated OG was within .001 of yesterday's measured OG, so something worked. In any case, the brew is happily bubbling away as I type.  :)

Rick

Back