• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

plastic conical fermenters

Glenn1952

Apprentice
Reaction score
I am new to this forum, and looking for advice on fermenting a lager in one of these
my thinking is , a lager employs bottom fermenting yeasts and may require a bigger (flat) surface area, or am I overthinking this
thanks for your imput
Glenn1952

I see your point. The conical bottom will create a small, deep plug  for a yeastcake instead of a thin widely spread yeast cake. Which will affect the fermentation and flavour, etc.  I think these are just a fad myself. Redesigning the fermentor to harvest yeast is redundant. It's simple to harvest yeast with a traditional type fermentor,  and simple to remove it during fermentation ( which may not be beneficial ) by transfering to a carboy. Although i'm sure there are supporters of these conicals, to me it's just a marketing ploy creating a solution for a problem that doesn't exist.
I thought about using them for awhile, and decided against it. Too restrictive for me. I decided on  a spiedel 60 liter fermentor with a dispensing spigot. It's all I need, and I reuse yeast and propagate it very nicely, quickly and easily.

When you consider things like : Cleaning, footprint, storage, capacity for 5 to 15 gallons plus headroom, mobility, simplicity, sanitation, Yeast cake functionality, Cost factor, and just plain ease of use; to me the Spiedel 60 liter is the one to have.

thanks for your info on this, down the road I will check out that Spiedel60

Back