• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

New to beer, need help finding the right one?

cafelinhchi

Apprentice
Reaction score
So I turned 21, and can now buy my own beer. My dad mostly drinks Sierra Nevada, tetleys, shipyard, and kilians. Ill drink them, but i be realized I don't really have the palette for IPA's or wheat beers such as hoegaarden.

At the same time, I don't want to order Heineken and bud light. So can anyone point me in a good direction? As of now, there's Magic Hat 9 which is decent, But I wouldn't buy it again. Any help would be great. If I didn't include enough info, feel free to ask questions. Thanks

Sounds like you like more malt forward type of beers.  Look for Brown ales, Scottish ales, English Milds and Bitters (which are really just a little more bitter than Milds), European lagers such as Vienna lagers (also known as Mexican Cervezas), Bocks and such.  Try a number of different beers of many different styles and figure out what appeals to you.  If you want to get a primer on what each style should smell/taste like, you can download descriptions from bjcp.org or look them up in BeerSmith.

When I started brewing my own beer, I decided make a point of trying a different beer every week. Some I really liked, and some I didn't. No risk no reward. But it helps a lot if you know what you're tasting.

I'd recommend buying a book on beer styles.  You can read about beers that you like and other beers like them. You'll learn about what makes up the flavor, be it malt, hops or yeast, and judge based upon your own tastes what you might want to try next. Most places that sell homebrewing supplies have a book shelf. That's where I got most of my books on the subject.

Experiment. It's a good way to learn.

Last beer I tried was a Blue Moon wheat. It was surprisingly good. Not something I would drink regularly, but it was good.

When I buy beer it's usually Michelob Ultra. Michelob Light makes me ill. I drink regular Bud when my neighbor offers it to me, though I'd turn down a Bud Light.  Fuggle IPA is my favorite Shipyard product. Harp, Pilsner Urquel and Grolsch are some of my favorite European lagers.

I don't buy much beer except when I eat out, which I don't do very ofter. Why should I buy beer when I can go down into the basement and draw a fresh homebrew right off the tap?

Back