• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Sour mash in Beersmith?

C

chapka

Just wondering if there's a way to do this in Beersmith.

I started a batch of Kentucky Common by mixing together all of my grain, then pulling out 2 pounds of mixed grain, mashing it, and pitching a thermophilic culture.  In a couple of days, I'll boil the sour mash to sterilize it, then mix it back in with the rest of the grain, mash, and lauter everything together.

Is there a way to use Beersmith to calculate my steps in the second mash?  The best I've been able to come up with is to use a separate recipe to calculate the sour mash, then measure the temp before I start mashing and enter it as a "dummy" step with the correct amount of water in the beginning of the final mash.  Is there any way to do this on one screen?

Hi,
  I can't really think of anything better than your suggestion at the moment. 

A more common use of sour mash is to add the sour mash at the end (after the beer has fermented out) rather than during the mash.  In the latter case, I would suggest using the dilution tool to calculate the combined gravity and volume (Dilute with wort).

Cheers!
Brad

Brad, I'm quite overwhelmed with all of the great new features in BS2; as a result, please forgive me if I'm asking a bad question--Was a sour mash added to the mash types? Or would you recommend a way to tweak the settings to account for an over-night sour mash?

Thanks,
Jameson

BeerSmith said:
Hi,
  I can't really think of anything better than your suggestion at the moment. 

A more common use of sour mash is to add the sour mash at the end (after the beer has fermented out) rather than during the mash.  In the latter case, I would suggest using the dilution tool to calculate the combined gravity and volume (Dilute with wort).

Cheers!
Brad

Back