• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Double Infusion Methods?

C

CaptSammy

OK, coming back to all grain after several years, and trying to figure out my new equipment.

I purchased a full setup, and then got married, hence the years of hiatus.

I have a ten gallon Gott (Rubbermaid) with false bottom, a pair of converted kegs (15gallon?), a converted half keg (7.5 gallon?) and a 12 gallon conical fermentor.

I did a trial run yesterday of a Belgian enkel single infusion and did well, although I found that my recovered hydrometer (may have the name wrong there) for measuring initial gravity turned out to be a thermometer and I couldn't tell where I actually landed, will purchase one tomorrow.

Now I want to do a dubble to throw the yeast cake into for a big ferment, ran a recipe thru Beersmith, and not sure how to do a Double Infusion with the numbers it gives me, I'd like to further my experience with a Double Infusion.

It says to add 19.35 qt @ 134.8 for 30 minutes, then 17.20qt for 30 minutes and mash out with 15.05qt for ten minutes. I am no rocket surgeon, but I dont think all that is going to fit in my 10 gallon Gott with the roughly 22lbs of grist.

Any tips on how this goes, as well as how best to use my gear, would be greatly appreciated. Perhaps I will have to get rid of the Gott idea and use a 15Gallon converted keg with a false bottom? The Gott just sounds like it would hold a temp easier, but 10 gallon may not be sufficient.

BTW, doing ten gallon batches.

About to do the purchase of BeerSmith, if I can figure this out. Its been incredible so far.

I too have a 10 gallon round (Igloo) cooler witha false bottom.

I acomplish step mashes via decoctions because I too do not have enough room in the cooler.

Fred

I use converted kegs and to deal with the temperature loss, I purchased two forms of insulation that I have wrapped my mash tun in and created a cap for it as well.  Testing it I have found that it only loses three degrees in the 60 minutes.  I do have to preheat the mash tun though.  Heating it with hot tap water to about 140F , draining it just before I mash in.  I usually have a 75 to 80% mash efficiency.

Back