• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Cannot Open a Connection to the Update Server - Update Cancelled

jrehmert

Apprentice
Reaction score
No matter how many times I try or how much time I leave between attempts, I can't seem to finish (or sometimes even initiate) an update over the Internet.

The text of the message window is exactly as I've entered in the subject line...

FYI - I'm on Verizon Business FIOS and my connection hasn't been down (or even degraded) for several months...

Any ideas?

Hi,
  The BeerSmith program uses FTP to access the updates.  One thing to try is opening an ftp channel to beersmith.com to see if that works.

In most cases, the problem is a firewall issue - either the ftp port is blocked somewhere or the BeerSmith program has not been given permissions to access the internet using that port.

Another alternative is simply to download the latest version from the web site and use the setup.exe program to install the update - instructions are on the downloads page.

Cheers!
Brad

Back