• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

My Suggestions

J

JayJay

Here's a few:

1.  Dynamic cost values - Cost values that update current recipes, brew log sessions, and shopping lists.  This is very important with today's fluctuating prices.

2.  Refactometer calculator button within the Brew Log screen.  The calculated OG values use manual entry (for raw wort), and FG values based on previously input data.  When pressing OK, the calculated value should populate the OG and FG fields.

3.  Larger ingredient list view in the recipe and brew log screens - no scroll bar except for unusually large lists (I'm thinking 10-12 visible entries without scrolling).

4.  Hops age calculator within the brew log screen.  A popup should take the selected hop and allow you to input months for aging (other values such as container and temperature should be able to be set in the Options menu).  Calculated value should then populate the hops IBU field and adjust total IBU accordingly.

5.  Separate DB file for Brew Log sessions.  It would be nice to also be able to label these with a year label (and that these folders would show up separately on the file tree - i.e. 2006 Sessions, 2007 Sessions, etc.).  This would also aid in archiving.

6.  A "Move" button for ingredients on the recipe view.  Sometimes the ordering convention is a little whacked - such as when a sugar is to be added early in the boil and that ingredient is listed after the hops.

7.  A sort-by function for yeast.  This is very helpful for those of us who do multiple brew sessions and repitch on existing yeast cakes.  One way to allow for this would be to simply add a value in the "Customize Columns" function for yeast.

8.  Separate note fields for recipe information and session information.  This is helpful for special brewing instructions that apply to every recipe, but would keep them separate from brew session notes.

9.  An easy-to-view inventory analysis view - based on the currently selected recipe in a recipe view.

10.  De-link the boil time value from hop boil times.  This is helpful for those of us who have boil times of 90 minutes but hop additions beginning at 60.  A minor thing, but added work when configuring a recipe.  Also Recipe View boil time should be a value that can be set in the options.

11.  Measured OG should default to whatever the estimated value is - but still allow manual changes (some of us have gotten so good that most of our sessions are spot on!)

12.  Allow manual entry of both pounds and ounces for ingredients.  Putting in decimal values is a pain when looking at one or two-ounce increments.

13.  Allow the Preview Pane to be permanently unchecked if the user wishes so.  For some reason, it defaults to "checked" when one exits the program and restarts.

14.  User-configurable brew session sheets would be a nice feature.  I would like a sheet that just lists ingredients, hop schedule, and mash temp and time info.  The rest of the stuff is second nature to long-time brewers.

Thanks - these are all great suggestions!

Agree with much of what you say and I appreciate the inputs.  A few random thoughts and questions:

7.  Not sure exactly what you wish to sort on - the existing yeast view lets you sort the yeasts by any column.  Which column do you want added.

9. What would you like on the inventory analysis - show the current inventory against current recipe for instance?

10.  You can currently set the boil time for individual hops to be less than the overall boil time - just edit the hops in the recipe and set the boil time to less (60 or 45 min).  Or are you thinking of something else entirely?

11.  You can make your own brew session sheet now under version 1.4 - take a look at the file bresheet_template.htm in the C:\Program Files\BeerSmith\Templates directory for an example of this!

Thanks again - I am seriously looking at many of these options to implement in a future version.

Sincerely,
Brad

Thanks - these are all great suggestions!

Agree with much of what you say and I appreciate the inputs.  A few random thoughts and questions:

7.  Not sure exactly what you wish to sort on - the existing yeast view lets you sort the yeasts by any column.  Which column do you want added.

What I'm getting at here is to be able to sort recipes by yeast.  That way, if I want to brew three different beers using the same yeast cake, I can easily find which recipes use the same yeast.  So by this I mean to add a column to the recipe list that includes a heading for yeast.

9. What would you like on the inventory analysis - show the current inventory against current recipe for instance?

Yes, that is it exactly.

10.  You can currently set the boil time for individual hops to be less than the overall boil time - just edit the hops in the recipe and set the boil time to less (60 or 45 min).  Or are you thinking of something else entirely?

This one is just a minor annoyance.  When you add hops to a recipe, it defaults to whatever your boil time is set for.  So if the boil time is set for 90 minutes, all of the hop additions are set for 90 minutes and have to be manually changed.  If the two were detached from each other (with a default time that can be set in options), then I would only need to modify the second and third additions.

11.  You can make your own brew session sheet now under version 1.4 - take a look at the file bresheet_template.htm in the C:\Program Files\BeerSmith\Templates directory for an example of this!

This is great, I'll try it.

Thanks again - I am seriously looking at many of these options to implement in a future version.

Thanks for the great software!  I recently made the jump from your biggest competitor after being on board with him since the beginning.

Back