Author Topic: Can you get Est OG in BeerSmith to more closely match hyd readings?  (Read 4148 times)

Offline Philbrew

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
I'm a new user of BeerSmith and am doing extract and steeped grain brewing.  So far the Est. Original Gravity given by BeerSmith has been consistently 4-6 points low compared to my hydrometer readings.  I've calibrated my hyd. in distilled water.  Is there a way to adjust in beerSmith so that the est OG when I'm creating a recipe will agree with my hydrometer on brew day?

Offline North_of_60

• BeerSmith Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Re: Can you get Est OG in BeerSmith to more closely match hyd readings?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 06:27:43 PM »
Set the "Brewhouse Efficiency" a little higher in your equipment profiles. It is probably set at 70 to 72% right now, bump it up 4 or 5 percent.

Al W

Offline Philbrew

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 08:56:37 AM »
Set the "Brewhouse Efficiency" a little higher in your equipment profiles. It is probably set at 70 to 72% right now, bump it up 4 or 5 percent.

Al W
Nope, that didn't do it.  However, I followed your general approach and bumped up the "yield %" in the grain profile for the two LMEs that I'm using (Williams German Gold and Pils) by 6% and that fixed it.

Offline North_of_60

• BeerSmith Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 09:47:21 AM »
Ok, that makes sense. Adjusting the Brewhouse Efficiency probably only affects the steeped grains and not the extracts.

Al

Offline Oginme

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • Goats, guitars, and a home brew; Life is good!
    • Longvu LaManchas
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 10:02:36 AM »
Actually, to adjust the impact of just the steeping grains, go to 'options' >> 'Advanced' >> 'Steeping Efficiency'.  The default for this is 15%.  When I did extract with steeping grains, I needed to up this to 17% to get everything in alignment.
Recycle your grains, feed them to a goat!

modification