• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Can you get Est OG in BeerSmith to more closely match hyd readings?

Philbrew

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'm a new user of BeerSmith and am doing extract and steeped grain brewing.  So far the Est. Original Gravity given by BeerSmith has been consistently 4-6 points low compared to my hydrometer readings.  I've calibrated my hyd. in distilled water.  Is there a way to adjust in beerSmith so that the est OG when I'm creating a recipe will agree with my hydrometer on brew day?

Set the "Brewhouse Efficiency" a little higher in your equipment profiles. It is probably set at 70 to 72% right now, bump it up 4 or 5 percent.

Al W

North_of_60 said:
Set the "Brewhouse Efficiency" a little higher in your equipment profiles. It is probably set at 70 to 72% right now, bump it up 4 or 5 percent.

Al W
Nope, that didn't do it.  However, I followed your general approach and bumped up the "yield %" in the grain profile for the two LMEs that I'm using (Williams German Gold and Pils) by 6% and that fixed it.

Ok, that makes sense. Adjusting the Brewhouse Efficiency probably only affects the steeped grains and not the extracts.

Al

Actually, to adjust the impact of just the steeping grains, go to 'options' >> 'Advanced' >> 'Steeping Efficiency'.  The default for this is 15%.  When I did extract with steeping grains, I needed to up this to 17% to get everything in alignment.

Back