• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Recipe View tweeking

Rep

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I really like Beersmith and will soon move from my trial run to a purchased piece of software.  I do though have a couple of questions.

Before I put a lot of time into the trial version, wil I be able to update that trial to a full ersion?

I do have a couple of questions on set up as well.

I have set up a recipe.  It actually is one I want to make from Northern Brewery.  It's a British Bitter Ale and is a simple beer to make.  But, I am having difficulties deciding BS's style to use.  In effect, if I do not choose the similar style in BS, how will I know my target gravity readings, color, alcohol  etc are correct?

I did ask a similar question about ingredients last week.  Am I simply taking this too seriously and being picky, or, is the experience of others that it will all work out in the end?

Rep!
  Welcome!

- Yes you can simply enter the registration code once you purchase to register the software in place - you won't lose anything.
  - For a bitter, I recommend categories 8A (possibly 8B or 8C if its strong) from the BJCP 2004 style guide.  This will set your target levels for the beer.
  - Feel free to post any additional questions you have...

Cheers!
Brad

BeerSmith said:
Rep!
  Welcome!

- Yes you can simply enter the registration code once you purchase to register the software in place - you won't lose anything.
  - For a bitter, I recommend categories 8A (possibly 8B or 8C if its strong) from the BJCP 2004 style guide.  This will set your target levels for the beer.
  - Feel free to post any additional questions you have...

Cheers!
Brad

TY for the welcome - And, BTW, FYI....I have given a number of software packages a glance and chose this one for a couple of reasons.  1)  I have heard of its quality.  and 2, I have noticed you play an active role within this forum.  I assume you are the developer and I appreciate the level of support exhibited here.  I hope to learn the program and maybe be abe to contibute at some point.

I do like to be accurate, but at the same time, I believe there is no true way to develop the same language and standards and set them throughout this hobby.  Therefore, I will need to learn to make accomodations.  I will  try to use the BJCP 2004 guidelines to  place a recipe I may want to use and make that comparison with the existing database of BS. 

follow up question...

As I have my system and recipe set up, I find that BS's, "Actual ABV" is .65%.  Is that correct?  Yet, the Style ABV is listed as 3.20-3.80 %  Am I missing something, or, are the two readings not related to one another?

Hi,
  Yes, I wrote BeerSmith, the website and quite a bit of brewwiki.  The BJCP 2004 guidelines are the most popular broadly used style guidelines and are the basis for many competitions.

The actual ABV depends upon putting accurate numbers in for the measured original gravity and measured final gravity.  Ideally these would be measurements taken from your actual brewing session.  If these are not populated with the right value, the actual ABV will not be accurate.

Cheers!
Brad

Back