• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

IBUs Too High

DaddyRezza

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi All:

Each time I attempt to enter a recipe the IBUs get pinned way off the chart (way right) in the style guide comparison.  Even in the very simply American wheat I just added, which is 6 lbs extract, Willamette at 60 and Cascade at 15, the IBUs read as 44.7 which is way too high.  I adjusted the alpha readings on the hops to what they were from the packaging.  Am I missing something?

What did you define the bitterness range as when you added the style? The default setting is 10.0 to 30.0. If you're boiling, say, an ounce of Willamette (5.5% alpha) for an hour you'll get upwards of 17 IBUs, depending on your OG. Another ounce of Cascade (5.5% alpha) for 15 minutes would give you another 8 IBUs. That gets you well to the right side of the default range. By comparison, the IBU range for a German Wheat and Rye beer of 1.044 to 1.052 is 8 to 15. If your range is similar it would be easy to get a spiked reading.

Attachments

• style.jpg
    style.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 403
Thanks for your replies guys.  I left the American Wheat or Rye Beer defaults alone, which appear to be 15-30.  I get a bitterness score of 44.7. 

1 oz Willamette for 60 - BeerSmith 2 shows the IBUs from this addition as 26.5
1 oz Cascade for 15 - BeerSmith 2 shows the IBUs from this addition as 18.2

Yeah, something screwy going on in Beersmith-2 with IBUs if you're doing extract or partial mash.  I get B-2 disagreeing with itself on IBUs.  I've gotten lots of views but no replies.  Maybe we should post over on the bugs topic page.

Back