• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

compost pile

I compost it.  By spring its wonderful "dirt" (worm castings).  During garden months, I spread it out as a mulch.

Beer_Tigger said:
I compost it.  By spring its wonderful "dirt" (worm castings).  During garden months, I spread it out as a mulch.

I do the same and also observed a lot of worms. From time to time I spread it out in the garden as well (still wet).
Sometimes I use it to make crispbread.

yes me to folks... I give it to Chicken owners and they love eating it... not the owners .. the chickens  :)
But also you can use it to mix into compost heaps, just be careful that its well mixed in or it can attract rats they love it too
George

I have a 5 gallon pail that has many holes drilled in the bottom that I put spent grain into. After a couple days beside the garage its drained and much lighter. I put in the compost. I have made spent grain "flour" by drying it in baking trays on low heat then grinding it up fine. Works great to add to pancakes, make tortillas, or add to any baked muffins or breads for that malty taste, and  dietary fibre  boost.

Straight from the MLT to the compost pile, and keep it mixed up.  Ants like it too. 

Beer_Tigger said:
jtoots said:
Beer_Tigger said:
During garden months, I spread it out as a mulch.

Nice!!  Do you spread it out right after brewing, while it's still wet?

Yes wet, but cooled down.

I was thinking more about this as an option for me, but no... the dog would be uncontrollable!  She has a keen interest in the stuff.  We make spent grain pizza dough on occasion, but that's not nearly enough to utilize the 20+ lbs worth.

If it's just dumped in a composter, it will stink to high heaven/hell..  I mix mine with leaves, grass clippings and weeds.  That helps with aeration, so it won't to anaerobic.  Yah, rats.. we have them due to the creek and ivy in the back yard.  I have to be careful.  Usually, I just till it into the soil.. so anything they might get they have to work hard for.

Don't mix the hops in the compost.  thrown them in the trash. 

What is wrong with hops in the composter.  They will compost as any vegetative material.  Bad for dogs.. but not compost... IMO

Back