• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

SG and Mash temperature, Calculation error?

gumpis

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello,
Mash profile: With a mash temperature of 64 degrees C I received an estimated SG 1013. When I changed the mash temperature in the profile to 63 degrees C, rose assumed SG to 1017. I had expected 1012 or slightly lower.
Is there a calculation error here?

Double IPA recipe.
With 63C in first mash step Final Gravity i estimated to 1.017
Edit the mash in temp. to 64C, the Final Gravity is estimated to 1.013

Attachments

• Dbl IPA.bsmx
    33.8 KB · Views: 142
I believe what it is trying to model is the drop off in fermentability when you drop below the active range for alpha-amylase.  It would appear that at 63 C, it is offset from the literature that I have which states and graphically identifies this inflection point at around 62 C.  I looked at the fermentability curve adjustment, but changing the center point for the mash FG adjustment does not change the point at which this kicks in, so I think it is not an adjustable variable.    Of course, Brad may be using a different book for modeling the enzyme activity that what I am looking at.

Thank you very much. Always something new to learn  :)

Back