• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

The effect of hydrogen peroxide on yeast

test1986

Apprentice
Reaction score
I did search, but didn't get any proper answer. I have access to bleach and hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) and silver (Ag) ions (no star-san nor Iodophor).

I need to go with a no-rinse sanitizer. I've heard hydrogen peroxide can be a good choice. But the question is that the producer claims it can be effective up to several days, so if I dilute it in water and disinfect my carboy and stuff without rinsing, isn't it gonna ruin my yeast?

BTW, I can't wait hours for the solution to break down completely.

If it is available to you, you should get Star San.  It needs to be diluted and it is no rinse.

RickS said:
If it is available to you, you should get Star San.  It needs to be diluted and it is no rinse.

If I could, I would. But that is not available in my country.

What is the correct concentration for H2O2?
The product I have is 7%. How should dilute it?

Hydrogen peroxide is part of the most common sanitizer used in commercial brewing. A 1.5 to 2% solution should be pretty effective, but will need a couple of minutes of contact time. The kill power comes from the ozone from the peroxide.

It will break down into oxygen and water. A 2% solution residue won't hurt yeast because it's diluted by the wort. Besides, the yeast will need a lot more O2 than would be available from the residue.

I would use 4 parts water to 1 part 7% peroxide solution.

Back