• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

converting Munich Malt 10L (mash) to Extract

njdevs

Apprentice
Reaction score
In a Beersmith article I just read about converting grain recipes to extracts, it mentions that Munich Malts should not be steeped. Two questions:

What happens if I do?

What would be a good extract alternative considering Munich Malt is a specialty grain in the recipe at 1.5# (11%)

Thanks for the help.

Could you be referring to the article on this page where it says:

A few things become obvious looking at the above examples. With the possible exception of the very lightest specialty base malts such as Vienna or Munich, few specialty malts provide very much enzymatic power. Almost all of the enzymes needed to convert your mash are contained in your base malt, so the selection of a good base malt is important.

If you wanted a specialty grain that only needs steeping, I'd consider something like light crystal or carahell.

Thank you for the response.

This is the article I was talking about......http://beersmith.com/blog/2008/06/03/converting-all-grain-recipes-to-malt-extract/

I am working on a Troegs Perpetual Clone (extract conversion) and one of the ingredients for the all-grain version is 1.5# Munich Malt. The above mentioned article says that Munich Malts are a "must mash" grain and suggest converting it. Thats what led to my questions of..... what if I steep them anyway since its only a specialty grain in small quantity? and what would be a good grain substitute for Munich Malt (non-base) in an extract recipe?

Appreciate the help. j

Back