Author Topic: Mash Temp  (Read 2926 times)

Offline bobb25

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Mash Temp
« on: May 02, 2015, 11:31:29 AM »
I'm doing first all grain brew.  I want to raise the mash temp in the igloo.  Is there any ill effect if I add very hot water slowly to bring the temp up;  ending with maybe 20% more water than the recipe?

Offline Maine Homebrewer

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
Re: Mash Temp
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 04:11:06 PM »
I've tried adding boiling water, but it always takes more than my calculations.  I end up with a lot more mash than I want.

An easier way to do it is to remove a third of the mash, bring it to a full boil on the stove, then stir it back in. It's called decoction. It's what I've been doing for years. 

Here's a link: http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter16-4.html
"To alcohol! The cause of - and solution to - all of life's problems!" -Homer Simpson

Offline bobb25

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 05:18:00 PM »
Well,  brew day is done, and the beer is resting in the fermenting chamber.  ( basement closet)  Due to problems with the new mash heat control,  I struggled with mash water temperature,  and sparge water temperature. Undershot the expected OG from 1.05  to 1.04.  ( at 79 degrees) .  It's a learning process.  Time will tell how the beer tastes.
Bob

Offline jtoots

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 11:36:52 AM »
You can calculate the exact volume needed by using the "mash adjust tool".  If I need to add water to the mash to hit temp I'll subtract this volume from the sparge volume, ending with the same volume you had originally intended.