• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash Temp

bobb25

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'm doing first all grain brew.  I want to raise the mash temp in the igloo.  Is there any ill effect if I add very hot water slowly to bring the temp up;  ending with maybe 20% more water than the recipe?

I've tried adding boiling water, but it always takes more than my calculations.  I end up with a lot more mash than I want.

An easier way to do it is to remove a third of the mash, bring it to a full boil on the stove, then stir it back in. It's called decoction. It's what I've been doing for years. 

Here's a link: http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter16-4.html

Well,  brew day is done, and the beer is resting in the fermenting chamber.  ( basement closet)  Due to problems with the new mash heat control,  I struggled with mash water temperature,  and sparge water temperature. Undershot the expected OG from 1.05  to 1.04.  ( at 79 degrees) .  It's a learning process.  Time will tell how the beer tastes.
Bob

You can calculate the exact volume needed by using the "mash adjust tool".  If I need to add water to the mash to hit temp I'll subtract this volume from the sparge volume, ending with the same volume you had originally intended.

Back